The floating floor system entails the use of a walking surface which, raised above the concrete tile, creates a technical hollow area. This area, suitably sized, permits cabling and connections of all kinds to be passed through it (power, telephone and IT wiring, supply piping, fluid discharge, etc).
A floating floor is particularly functional to speed up maintenance activities and later alterations to the cabling and connections thanks to the dry removability of the system, with no need under the floor while making them effective. There is no need for building works leading to a considerable reduction in both the time needed and the cost of activities.
The need for new cabling is increasingly more frequent due to the technological development of work instruments and data transmission networks, especially in buildings to be used as offices.
The flexibility of a floating floor makes this installation work extremely easy.
More in general, the raised floor enable the condition and location of the supply and discharge piping or channels for air treatment to be checked and ensures fast intervention and suitable maintenance to be carried out.
In comparison with a traditional floor, the main advantages of a floating floor are:
- freedom of redesigning rooms in time, according to new space organisation requirements; insertion of new work stations or alterations to existing ones;
- possibility for any maintenance and modifications of systems to work on the single panels separately without having to modify the adjacent ones;
- dry installation and removal of the various components, without using adhesives;
- elimination of "pop-out" problems due to incompatibility between the concrete tile and traditional floor;
- possibility of using again the components also in environments other than the ones they were originally used in;
- thermal separation between the concrete tile and the walking surface with consequent improvement of living quality;
- maximum creative freedom for the designer, who is no longer limited regarding location of the various systems during the designing stage;
- in economic terms, the possibility of considering floating floors as movable walls permits greater tax abatements.